From: che@××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Limit number of cores used by emerge?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:44:31
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > Is there a portage option that will limit the number of cores used
5 > by emerge? For instance, in a chroot on a 12 core machine I want to
6 > limit emerge to not using more than 3 cores?
7
8 I don't think there is a portage option for that. Perhaps you could use
9 schedtool?
10
11 with 'schedtool -a' you can specify a list of cpus a proces may run on.
14 > If possible, I'd also like to limit the total disk bandwidth
15 > consumption during emerge. For instance, when untarring a big file to
16 > do the emerge at times the disk consumption gets to high and the
17 > machine becomes laggy. Is there an option that addresses this?
18
19 perhaps ionice is the tool for that?
23 Christer