From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot [NOT SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:53:52
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 >>
3 >> search for CONSOLE in this file and find:
4 >>
5 >> # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
6 >>
7 >> Just remove the hash at the start of the line, rebuild my initramfs
8 >> and it is ready to go.
9 >>
10 >> --
11 >> Regards,
12 >> Gregory.
16 > Thanks Gregory.
17 >
18 > I really would like to find that partition number limitation on genkernel
19 > in the docs.
20
21 I've never had that problem but then I've always made /boot my first
22 partition.
23
24 > I have already had that splash screen problem, very interesting your
25 > solution. That's a big reason I love Gentoo, always learning something new.
26 > Funny thing is that checking the file you've mentioned in this new system,
27 > it has no hash at that line (line number 13, right?). On the other working
28 > system, the same, no hash.
29
30 No, the line is 149.
31
32 You see, I've got this as part of my kernel command line:
33
34 console=tty1
35
36 The code section from the linuxrc file is part of the kernel command
37 line check as part of a bash(sh) "do" loop:
38
39 CONSOLE=*|console=*)
40 CONSOLE=${x#*=}
41 CONSOLE=$(basename ${CONSOLE})
42 # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
43
44 If you change your "console=" value on the command line then the new
45 console choice is redirected. If the hash is in place then the
46 console is not redirected and usually you get console output writing all
47 over your splash screen.
50 > I'm using genkernel-3.4.45.1 on both systems, perhaps not the same as you.
51 >
52 > Regarding that last issue, the message complaining that the root partition
53 > is not a valid block device _is still there_, only masked by the splash
54 > (which now is "verbose").
55 >
56 > I was optimistic in believing everything would work as expected once I
57 > found that detail.
58
59 I'm not sure I can help you here. My root filesystem is on an LVM volume
60 (as are all the rest of my filesystems except for my /boot partition.
63 Regards,
64 Gregory.