From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Applying patches without needing overlays and modifying ebuilds
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 06:44:38
1 Does anyone think that a mechanism of applying patches to a package
2 without the need to modify the ebuild of that package would be a useful
3 feature? There are cases of useful patches that are not accepted by the
4 maintainers of the ebuild (because they have not been accepted upstream
5 or other reasons), forcing users to copy ebuilds in their overlay and
6 modifying the ebuild there. This turns out to be a hassle every time
7 the package receives an update.
8
9 What if we could just specify patches to be applied in, say,
10 /etc/portage/packages.patch with something like:
11
12 media-video/smplayer j-random-hack.patch
13
14 and portage would apply that patch automatically? That way, the hassle
15 of updating the ebuild of a package in which I use custom patches would
16 go away. The patches could be searched for in a designated directory,
17 in this example maybe /var/portage/patches/media-video/smplayer (or
18 something else entirely.)
19
20 Can someone think of a way to set up something like this?