From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] info system maintainence / repair
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:03:02
1 On Sunday 9 September 2007, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > I wonder where to find information on how to install a file in the
4 > info system, manually. Apparently the install-info command is used,
5 > the death troll from Debian. Nuf sed.
6 >
7 > I have learned a little about the info system on Gentoo, but I need to
8 > know how to install an info file manually. I'd rather leave it alone,
9 > but texinfo is one of the greatest things about both the GNU system
10 > and Emacs. I need to know how it works. If I may be forgiven for
11 > ranting a LITTLE bit, the idea of automatically setting up info files
12 > was a spark of genious; but it's implementation leaves something to be
13 > desired. Before someone tells me to write a better one, I' will put
14 > on my asbestos suit, but Gentoo is a kinder and gentler crowd, at
15 > least most of the time.. I'm sorry if my own remarks have become
16 > unnecessarily pointed.
17 >
18 > So where is the documentation on how to install a file into that
19 > system by hand? I have attempted to RTFM.
20
21 http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Creating-and-Installing-Info-Files
22 http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Installing-an-Info-File
23
24 seems like the dir file is located at /usr/share/info/dir in gentoo
25 (don't know whether texinfo updates overwrite it though).
26
27 Hope this helps.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list