From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Flash lockups
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 19:04:39
1 On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:57:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:35:11 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> > What about Flash in web browsers is not working for you since updating
5 >> > to OpenRC? Granted, I run only Firefox-3.6.X but I see no problem that
6 >> > I recognize on any of my machines.
7 >>
8 >> I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward, but
9 >> after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't find
10 >> Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried Opera,
11 >> Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat and looked
12 >> at me when asked to stream audio.
13 >>
14 >> I tried re-merging adobe-flash and nspluginwrapper a couple of times and now
15 >> the audio streaming runs, but I'm suffering random lockups when cycling
16 >> desktops, and I think I remember reading that Flash does sometimes cause
17 >> lockups. I'm thinking of removing everything flash and substituting gnash
18 >> or something, because I do like to listen to the radio.
19 >>
20 >> This is an amd64 box. I have only:
21 >>
22 >> $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
23 >> ~app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1
24 >
25 > I believe these may be related to having the oficial nvidia drivers.
26 > When having those, it wants to use hardware acceleration and adobe hasn't
27 > figured out how to do that properly yet....
28 >
29 > --
30 > Joost
31
32 I do use the ~amd64 nvidia-driver & flash here and haven't seen any
33 problems, although I don't make a lot of use of Flash in Linux but
34 rather do most media watching in a Win XP VM.
35
36 - Mark
37
38 mark@c2stable ~ $ eix -Ic flash