From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] MARK
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:10:31
1 From /var/log/messages:
2
3 Jan 16 01:35:27 osage -- MARK --
4 Jan 16 01:55:37 osage -- MARK --
5 Jan 16 02:15:44 osage -- MARK --
6 Jan 16 02:35:52 osage -- MARK --
7 Jan 16 02:55:58 osage -- MARK --
8
9 This morning my computer was foobar'd (after 200+ days uptime).
10
11 Initially the screen was black -- not surprising as that's the screen
12 saver mode.
13
14 Moving the mouse didn't wake up Gnome. Pushing a key caused the screen
15 to refresh (after more seconds than is normal) and show the VirtualBox
16 session I was using last night.
17
18 On the down side, moving the mouse didn't move the on-screen cursor.
19 There was no apparent keyboard response, and I didn't think to try the
20 magic SYSRQ key.
21
22 Switching to a second machine, I could ping the first machine just
23 fine. However ssh didn't produce a prompt. I let the connect attempt
24 continue while I ate breakfast (say 15 or 20 minutes).
25
26 So, I pushed the big red switch, rebooted the machine, then looked
27 at /var/log/messages. From 01:35 until 06:35, at intervals of 20
28 minutes and 7 seconds, there were MARK messages as shown above. In
29 addition to that there was only 1 statistics message from syslog-ng.
30
31 Anybody know what a "--- MARK ---" message mean??
32
33 Regards,
34
35 David
36
37 P.S. The machine is an AMD64 running 2.6.28-gentoo-r5. Overnight,
38 VirtualBox was running (though in an idle state) and (probably)
39 BackupPC was also running. Other than those 2 processes, nothing of
40 significance was running, AFAIK.