From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 22:11:22
1 On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:03:33PM +0100, antlists wrote:
2 > On 28/08/2020 19:10, james wrote:
3 > >
4 > > A council member, from say England, could manage how 1/2 of what they
5 > > raise is spent. It could even "english centric" but must comply with USA
6 > > IRS standards. Our council could be expanded to many members, from other
7 > > countries, with a centic goal of spending Gentoo funds
8 >
9 > WHY? As a Brit I wouldn't want to touch the Americal Legal System with a
10 > barge pole!!!
11 >
12 > > Truly, there is no other globally recognized tax system
13 > > like the USA-IRS (bad ass && world class open). That's why in times of
14 > > trouble, entrepreneurs world wide flock to the "dollar". Also, being in
15 > > elite standing with the USA-IRS opens many door doors to enhance and
16 > > promote and deploy GENTOO globally.
17 >
18 > And as a Brit, while HMRC may be a pain, I have precious little to do with
19 > them. My employer deals with them, and at the end of the year I occasionally
20 > get a letter saying I've overpaid my taxes and here's some money back. Do I
21 > REALLY want to get involved with some foreign system that's WAY more
22 > complicated?
23 >
24 > Get rid of your rose-tinted spectacles. For the MAJORITY of Brits, our tax
25 > system is way less complicated than yours. You'd be better off moving the
26 > foundation to somewhere that doesn't have your insane mix of state and
27 > federal taxes, and doesn't offload the responsibility onto people who don't
28 > understand the system.
29
30 Also as a Brit (West Yorkshireman), I concur one-hundred percent. The I.R.S.
31 taxation system may be "globally recognised" in the sense that America is the
32 only country on Earth, but in actuality, I remain gravely dubious that managing
33 a U.S.-bound organisation from an "English-centric" perspective would serve any
34 advantage whatsoever.
35
36 Especially considering most Americans do not understand the system (the
37 readability of the I.R.S. tax code has been under scrutiny for a long time), I
38 wouldn't want to place the burden of conferring with such a convoluted system on
39 anyone.
43 Ashley Dixon
44 suugaku.co.uk
47 DA96 D18A