From: Will Salt <wpsalt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommend me a good PCMCIA wireless network card
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:19:38
1 On 24/07/05 18:06:51, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Jul 24, 2005, at 1:49 am, Ian K wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I have an older laptop that I want to add to my network,
6 >> (its a 802.11B one) and I was wondering what brands/models
7 >> would work the best under Linux. Im fairly flexible, and would
8 >> really not like to tinker with too many drivers. Any good ideas?
9 >
10 > Currently available are cards using the Ralink chipset, as this
11 > manufacturer has open-sourced their own drivers and there is a strong
12 > GPL project that will (I believe) eventually join the main kernel
13 > tree.
14
15 I bought one of these by accident - I bought a PC with an Asus A8V
16 motherboard without realising that it included on-board wireless with
17 the RT2500 chipset.* The main thing to beware of is that the RT2500
18 driver doesn't work with SMP kernels; at first, before I realised this,
19 I was using an SMP kernel even though I have a single-processor system,
20 and found that the system would lock up within seconds of loading the
21 RT2500 module.
24 * Asus made (make?) two motherboards with almost-identical part
25 numbers, and almost identical specs, the main difference being the
26 wireless chipset. When I bought my PC, the spec didn't mention enough
27 of the mb part number to tell which it was; but as wireless wasn't
28 mentioned in the PC spec, and I was offered (and turned down) a
29 wireless card as an optional extra, I assumed I'd be getting the
30 cheaper non-wireless MB. I was pleasantly surprised to find the more
31 expensive one in the case when it arrived.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list