From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Full system encryption on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 00:39:07
1 On 31/12/15 09:15, Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 07:45:29AM +1000, Hans wrote:
3 >> I can't follow Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide. The system will run in
4 >> VirtualBox and only have BIOS. No UEFI, EFI, USB stick as boot or key disk.
5 >
6 > You should still atleast read the guide to figure out how to get the
7 > encryption part right. You can skip the USB stuff and fallback to BIOS
8 > equivalents of EFI concepts.
9 >
10 >> I just have to find a way to get the same result using Gentoo with
11 >> OpenRC and if possible without LVM. Entering the pass phrase several
12 >> times is no problem.
13 >
14 > The steps are more or less the following:
15 >
16 > 1. cryptsetup your whole device
17 > 2. mkfs
18 > 3. chroot
19 > 4. install grub with device-mapper flag
20 > 5. install dracut and cryptsetup.
21 > 6. add GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y to /etc/default/grub
22 > 7. grub2-install
23 > 8. set 'hostonly="yes"' in /etc/dracut.conf OR add the output of
24 > `dracut --print-cmdline` to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in
25 > /etc/default/grub
26 > 9. grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
27 > 10. dracut --regenerate-all
28 >
29 > Somewhere between step 3 and 10 you need to build the kernel with atleast the
30 > dm_crypt module. This will lead to you having to enter the password twice -
31 > once when grub starts and once when the initramfs is setting up /.
32 >
33 > Check the arch wiki article on the topic [1] for more info, but don't
34 > blindly trust the boot loader part because that is specific to arch's
35 > initramfs generator.
36 >
37 > [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system
41 I have a working VM with Gentoo on LVM on top of LUKS. Works fine in
42 change root, Just can't get it to boot. Probably somewhere missed
43 something. Will start from scratch using your 10 steps with dracut
44 instead of genkernel.
45
46 Have a nice New Year
47 Hans