From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem making bootable usb key
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:13:39
1 > Hi group,
2 >
3 > Using as my model:
4 >
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
6 >
7 > to install eeexubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386-20090223.iso via a bootable usb
8 > key. Everything fine until this command:
9 >
10 > # cp -r /mnt/cdrom/* /mnt/usb
11 >
12 > resulted in this:
13 >
14 > cp: cannot create symbolic link `/media/disk/dists/stable': Operation not
15 > permitted
16 > cp: cannot create symbolic link `/media/disk/dists/unstable': Operation
17 > not permitted
18 > cp: cannot create symbolic link `/media/disk/ubuntu': Operation not
19 > permitted
20 >
21 > Some one in a forum says this doesn't matter. Very well, I carry on.
22 >
23 > This command:
24 >
25 > # mv /mnt/usb/memtest86 /mnt/usb/memtest
26 >
27 > results in a file-not-found msg.
28 >
29 > And when I try to boot get "Missing operating system".
30 >
31 > I ran through the steps several times to make sure I wasn't leaving
32 > something out or adding something that wasn't there but the result was the
33 > same.
34 >
35 > Does it really matter that I'm using 'Buntu? A look at the 'Buntu howtos
36 > for this procedure remind me why I prefer the gentoo method.
37 >
38 > Neil, you there? How did you do it? I don't have a cd/dvd attachment for
39 > my tripleE, have to use a usb key.
40
41 I ordered a TripleE as well and to prepare for it (in NL only versions
42 available are with MSWinXP :( ) I created a usb-key yesterday.
43
44 Was quite easy using "unetbootin", it's in the portage tree.
45 There is also a MS Windows version of this tool.
46 "emerge -va unetbootin"
47 It can build the USB-boot-stick using ISO-images
48
49 Wants to run as root, and make sure you pre-format the usb-stick with
50 vfat. If it keeps failing, fall back to having your XP-box format the
51 usb-stick, had to do this myself.
54 Joost