From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SiS & xorg 7.1
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:17:35
1 Hello,
2
3 I have this AGP chip in a clevo portable:
4
5 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740
6 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
9 I have my make.conf settins as such:
10
11 VIDEO_CARDS="sis vesa"
12 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
13
14 The xorg.x11 files has these entries:
15
16 Section "Device"
17 Identifier "silicongraphic"
18 VendorName "Silicon Integrated Systems"
19 Driver "sis"
20 #VideoRam
21
22 Section "Screen"
23
24 Identifier "Laptopscreen"
25 Device "silicongraphic"
26 Monitor "flatscreen"
27 DefaultDepth 24
28
29 Subsection "Display"
30 Depth 24
31 Modes "1024x768"
32 ViewPort 0 0
33 EndSubsection
34
35 I'm not sure 'sis' is a legitimate option?
36 While googling I came across a document that suggested adding
37 'vesa' to any VIDEO_CARD setting if doubt exist. Is this the
38 correct setting for this video card? Where can I read up on
39 the various cards, xorg-x11 setting options for various video
40 cards and the corresponding settings in make.conf and else where?
41
42 I've some docs, such as the gentoo docs and xorg modular migration,
43 but these docs seem trite or a little too skinny on details and
44 lack a robust discussion of the options and other possible options.
45
46 It seems to work, but, I'm not sure it's optimized for the best
47 possbible use of this sis/vesa video chip?
50 thoughts and comments are most welcome.
53 James
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list