From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 08:28:36
1 On Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:55:59 AM CET Dale wrote:
2 > Wols Lists wrote:
3 > > On 07/01/19 10:46, Dale wrote:
4 > >> From what I've read, that can be overcome. If you get say a SMART
5 > >> message that a drive is failing,
6 > >
7 > > Yup, I have to agree that SMART isn't always reliable, but if you
8 > > *monitor* it, it should give plenty of warning of the recording medium
9 > > failing ...
10 >
11 > Yep. It may not detect a spindle motor that is about to fail. I'm sure
12 > it can't detect that lightening is about to strike and the drive get hit
13 > with a surge either. It can generally tell if the media is failing
14 > tho. I've read it can detect some components that are starting to fail
15 > to, not all but some. Still, even tho it can't detect everything, it is
16 > better than no warning at all. Until something better comes along, ESP
17 > maybe, it will have to do. ;-)
18 >
19 > >> just remove that drive or remove the
20 > >> whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup can
21 > >> be made. Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still works, to
22 > >> the new drive. That is basically what I did when I swapped a smaller
23 > >> drive for a larger one. I moved the data from one drive to another. It
24 > >> did it fairly quickly. Someone posted that it may even be faster to do
25 > >> it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync. I don't know how true
26 > >> that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really efficiently.
27 > >
28 > > Point is, it works at a different level. Both cp and rsync are NOT
29 > > guaranteed to copy your filesystem accurately - mine is full of hard
30 > > links and that will give both those two a hard and nasty time.
31 > >
32 > > LVM copies the block device underneath the file system, so it is less
33 > > efficient in that it will copy 3GB if you have a 3GB partition, but it
34 > > is far simpler in that it neither knows nor cares what the file system
35 > > is doing at the next level up. Give a file-system like mine to "cp -a"
36 > > and it'll bring the system to its knees trying to keep track of where
37 > > everything is.
38 > >
39 > > Cheers,
40 > > Wol
41 >
42 > That was what I read but couldn't recall enough to tell how it does it.
43 > That explains why it can be done while in use to.
44 >
45 > Just how do you do backups? If cp -a and rsync would not work
46 > correctly, what do you use? I'm just curious now. ;-)
47
48 There are backup tools that do handle hardlinks correctly. "app-backup/dar"
49 comes to mind. I know this as my software-share is filled with hardlinks and
50 when I restore the backup, they are all still there.
53 Joost