From: Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 03:11:32
1 * Ian Zimmerman:
2
3 > But what about connecting to the outside world? For that, the
4 > link-local address doesn't work.
5
6 It does work, actually. fe80::1 is a perfectly valid way to specify the
7 default gateway. Remember that NICs have several IPv6 addresses with
8 different scopes.
9
10 > No configuration needed for this ULA thing? How does it happen, then -
11 > is it implemented entirely in the kernel?
12
13 Before I try to come up with my own explanation, I suggest you search
14 for terms like Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) and Stateless Address
15 Autoconfiguration (SLAAC). The latter, for example, is the reason why
16 DHCPv6 is often not necessary.
17
18 -Ralph