From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphics Card Advice
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 12:44:03
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 23:48:28 BST jdm wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:17:37 +0200
4 >>
5 >> tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
6 >>> On 04/29 06:05, jdm wrote:
7 >>>> Hi,
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I have just bought a RX 5600 XT and after a few issues with screen
10 >>>> freezing after kernel starts loading, resolved by compiling EFIFB
11 >>>> (no previous FB compiled in) the card has been working fine for 2
12 >>>> days booting normally. The machine then started not to boot, not
13 >>>> even to get to BIOS (so you couldn't even press DEL to get to BIOS
14 >>>> screen). I took the card out and replaced with old card and PC
15 >>>> started fine. I tried this 4 times and still with new card PC would
16 >>>> not even POST. I don't have a little speaker to here if there are
17 >>>> any beeps.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I am returning the card as it feels like that is the problem but
20 >>>> have a nagging suspicion this could be some other problem like
21 >>>> power supply. I have 700W coolermaster PSU which should be ample
22 >>>> (according to websites) but is 9 years (amazingly they had the
23 >>>> foresight to provide 8 and 6 pin cables which were both plugged in).
24 >>>>
25 >>>> My next issue is do I get another 5600 XT (different brand) or are
26 >>>> nvidia equivalent better? I have always been an AMD fan. Could I
27 >>>> end up in the same boat.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> PC spec - ASUS 470 Pro MB with 2700 Ryzen.
30 >>>>
31 >>>> Any advice would be much appreciated?
32 >>>>
33 >>>> John
34 >>> Hi John,
35 >>>
36 >>> what graphicscard you want depends heavily on what you want to
37 >>> do with your PC...
38 >>> What are the tasks, which put a heavy load on your PC/graphicscard and
39 >>> which you are do regularily?
40 >>> Do you do a lot of rendering (Blender for example) or video
41 >>> (re-)encoding? Do you AI related things (tesorflow for example)?
42 >>> Or is gaming you main application?
43 >>>
44 >>> Furthermore: You CPU must fit your graphicscard performancewise.
45 >>> It makes no sense to choose "a performance beast" and to combine
46 >>> it with a "entry level being".
47 >>> The fastest graphicscard can onlu as fast, as data are coming from
48 >>> the CPU and vice versa.
49 >>>
50 >>> On the internet you find a combination of the Ryzen 5 3600 with
51 >>> one of the nvidia RTX 20[678] SUPER cards. The RTX 2060 SUPER
52 >>> comes with 8GByte of video ram instead of 6 GBYte of the RTX 2060.
53 >>>
54 >>> "Linus Tech Tipps" and "Tom's Hardware" are probablu to look for.
55 >>>
56 >>> HTH!
57 >>>
58 >>> Cheers!
59 >>> Meino
60 >> Thanks for advice.
61 >>
62 >> I like playing games and noticed with current card that FPS is low on a
63 >> lot of games.
64 >> I have tried to get a balance between not paying too much and specs of
65 >> monitor (2560x1440 @60 fps). According to GPU check I should get max of
66 >> 80 fps @ 1440. So thought I would have some left in the bank with 5600
67 >> XT.
68 >>
69 >> I'll check CPU to GPU rate.
70 >>
71 >> There's too much choice and now a little worried that next card might
72 >> not work again.
73 >>
74 >> John
75 > PSUs do not last forever and if you experience power surges, lightning, etc.
76 > they could last even less. More often than not some early degradation causes
77 > random crashes, when under load, rather than complete blackout. It is not
78 > easy to test a PSU without an oscilloscope, but you could look at the MoBo
79 > voltages with a multimeter to see if they're broadly within limits and don't
80 > drop off too much when a load in placed them.
81 >
82 > Personally I don't bother measuring voltages. If you take the PSU out of the
83 > case and visually inspect its capacitors you may find some have domed tops, an
84 > indication they have overheated and are on their way out. A few pennies would
85 > buy you a bag of replacements which you can solder in to restore the PSU to
86 > its original performance. It used to be Panasonic capacitors were better made
87 > and had higher ratings, but I don't know what brands can claim better quality
88 > of manufacture these days. Burned resistors are an indication of catastrophic
89 > surges, although I have replaced resistors and capacitors on a cheap PSU which
90 > burnt out when sheet lightning hit our area one year and worked fine for years
91 > after that.
92 >
93 > Of course, if the problem is with the video card, the PSU won't fix your
94 > problem.
97 Just in case the OP, or someone else that wants to go down this road,
98 wants to repair this.  This is the list I go by.  Link first, then list
99 of top tier in case one wants to skip reading the whole thing.
102 https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-5.html
105 All Japanese caps are considered of high quality, and we like to see the
106 following cap brands:
107
108 * Rubycon
109 * United Chemi-Con (or Nippon Chemi-Con)
110 * Nichicon
111 * Sanyo/Suncon
112 * Panasonic
113 * Hitachi
114 * FPCAP or Functional Polymer Capacitor (ex-Fujitsu caps segment,
115 which was bought by Nichicon)
116 * ELNA
117
118 Besides Japanese manufacturers there are also several US and European
119 vendors that make high-quality capacitors. Probably we won't meet any of
120 the below cap brands inside a consumer grade PSU, at least their
121 electrolytic offerings, but we decided that it still worth mentioning them.
122
123 * Cornell Dubilier (USA)
124 * Illinois Capacitor (Currently owned my Cornell Dubilier)
125 * Kemet Corporation (USA)
126 * Vishay (USA)
127 * EPCOS (TDK company, Germany)
128 * Würth Elektronik (Germany)
131 As a person who has built circuits and such, for long term use I try to
132 stick with Rubycon, Nichicon or Panasonic if I have to.  Sometimes if it
133 is a short term project, I'll use 2nd tier.  I've had several 2nd tier
134 caps fail.  Besides stinking up a room, they can lead to the failure of
135 other components.  I replaced two 2nd tier caps in a power inverter not
136 long ago.  Luckily it was on the power input and I had the switch turned
137 off.  They blew their smoke as soon as I touched the wire to the
138 battery. No damage, just smelly.
139
140 Good luck to those who tinker.  :-D
141