From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update gentoo from live usb?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:06:14
1 On 30/01/2022 17:03, Andreas Fink wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 02:24:32 -0600
3 > Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Going forward, you could consider having your build host take a snapshot /
6 >> backup of the binpkgs it builds every 3-6 months, with the associated
7 >> portage tree, so that you can use those to update your sporadically updated
8 >> machines.
9 >
10 > Yes, for the future I'm going to take snapshots of the binpkgs+portage.
11 > But the first update will not profit from this idea, since they have
12 > not been updated for quite some time now.
13 > But thanks for the idea to save me some headache in the future :)
14 >
15 Can you create an LVM volume and just store snapshots in that?
16
17 The other thing you might be able to do if you're planning to go through
18 several iterations to get up to date, is for the intermediate steps just
19 update @system. So long as that works, you should have a working system
20 at all points, and just update @world at the last minute.
21
22 Cheers,