From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:41:45
1 On Dienstag, 22. Mai 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
2 > Ok, Here goes...
5 > How large is the package archive for gentoo, assuming a full copy of the
6 > portage tree, and all of the source tarballs in the distfiles directory
7 > of the average server?
8
9 dunno, but huge.
12 > Would it be possible to draw down the whole archive all in one shot
13 > using wget or similar, dump it all into a directory on the hard drive,
14 > and direct portage there for the distribution files?
15
16 yes, choose a mirror. download the complete distfiles dir of that mirror. wget
17 can do that.
20 > I know this would basically be equivelent to making a local mirror of
21 > the distrservers, and I would have to make sure that my portage tree
22 > matches up to the files actually on the hard drive. ^^ What other
23 > concerns would I need to look at at this point. :P
24
25 you will waste a lot of bandwidth and diskspace. The mirror might hate you for
26 it. You will have lots and lots of packages like packageX.1.1,
27 packageX.1.1.0, packageX.1.1.1....
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list