From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 00:40:45
1 On 2017-11-05 14:22, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Second, my actual objection is more to sticking wrappers around an
4 > upstream program just to extend its capabilities, when other software
5 > is maintained upstream that already does what you're re-inventing.
6 > When you already have 47 different cron implementations out there, I'm
7 > not sure it adds a lot to have a distro-specific solution. The distro
8 > should certainly be providing stuff like /etc/cron.*/ and the scripts
9 > inside when upstream isn't providing them. By all means include a
10 > stock wrapper /etc/crontab that runs that stuff at set times for those
11 > running 24x7 with vixie cron. If run-scripts was implemented in
12 > python instead of shell this objection wouldn't go away.
13
14 I really want to stop prologing the agony of this thread, but I just
15 have to point out that when you install cronie with the anacron flag (as
16 I just did, if only to know what I'm talking about), you _still_ get a
17 wrapper: it's called /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron. Simpler than run-crons
18 for sure, but the principle is the same.
19
20 After all distros exist for a reason (over and above building packages).
21 If upstreams always did the glue job right, a bot could handle all the
22 package builds and you gentoo devs could go home ;-)
25 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
26 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
27 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.