From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any way to automate login to host and su to root?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 05:48:22
1 On Sunday, 17 July 2022 21:15:05 CEST Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 7/15/22 11:46 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Hmm... interesting. I will look into this.
4 > :
5 > :-)
6 > :
7 > > But, it needs the agent to be running, which will make it tricky for
8 > > automation.
9 >
10 > Why can't automation start an agent?
11
12 It could, but that would open up an unsecured key to interception if an
13 intermediate host is compromised.
14
15 > Why can't there be an agent
16 > running that automation has access to?
17
18 See previous answer, the agent, as far as I know, will have the keys in memory
19 and I haven't seen evidence that it won't provide the keys without
20 authenticating the requestor.
21
22 > > I know, which is why I was investigating automating it. The passwords
23 > > are too long to comfortably copy by hand.
24 >
25 > I assume that you mean "type" when you say "copy".
26
27 Yes, copy/paste has no issues with multi-page texts. But manually reading a
28 long password and copying that over by typing on a keyboard when the font can
29 make the difference between "1" (ONE), "l" (small letter L) and "|" (pipe-
30 character) and similar characters make it annoying to say the least.
31
32 > > I will definitely investigate this. They sound interesting. I'd set
33 > > the validity to a lot less if this can be automated easily.
34 >
35 > Yes, it can be fairly easily automated.
36 >
37 > One of the other advantages of SSH /certificates/ is when you flip
38 > things around and use a /host/ certificate. Clients can recognize that
39 > the target host's certificate is signed by the trusted SSH CA and not
40 > prompt for the typical Trust On First Use (TOFU) scenario. Thus you can
41 > actually leverage the target host SSH fingerprint and not need to ignore
42 > that security aspect like so many people do.
43
44 Currently, when that comment pops up, the first thing I do is wait and wonder
45 why it's asking for it. As all the systems are already added to the list.
48 Joost