From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RTL-tm NICs (Was RTL8192CU)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:31:23
1 > On Mar 21, 2015, at 12:06, German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
4 > I saw some recommendations on this one from people using linux
5
6 The manufacturer doesn't support Linux officially. I would not buy a USB NIC unless that was the only choice! The chipset was not mentioned on the manufacturers site but searching the net shows it is AR9271 and the module is ath9k_htc. On top of that you need to download atheros firmware and install that to your kernel.
7
8 It has WPS setup. Some drivers with this have huge security hole that even if you disable WPS it remains on. If WPS is on there is practically no security in you WiFi network. In that case using a VPN is the only choice.
9
10 I would not recommend it, but I have no personal experience with the particular chipset. Although I don't recommend WiFi either ;) ...without a proper VPN.
13 -Matti