From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] First time kernel compiler experiencing some problems
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:54:24
1 On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:50:31 +0200
2 "Vlad Dogaru" <ddvlad@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > after a couple of failed attempts some time ago, I actually ended up
7 > with a kernel that boots. However, I am experiencing some problems
8 > which I think are at least in part due to my perhaps incomplete kernel
9 > configuration.
10 > First of all, my console is still in 80x24 mode, although I pass
11 > video=vesafb:1024x768-32@72 to the kernel. I have compiled vesafb-tng
12 > into the kernel, so specifying the vga mode is not needed, right? If I
13 > add vga=0x318, the kernel complains about an unsupported mode and
14 > makes me choose another. However, I know from my previous
15 > (genkernel-created) kernel that these paramters work for my hardware
16 > setup.
17 In my experience "video=vesafb:1024x768-32@72" never sets the console
18 font size, just the screen resolution. "vga=0x318" hasn't worked for me
19 for 5 years or so and i recommend instead that you use a smaller vga=
20 statement for the initial font and then setting (look at the list, i
21 don't remember them) up /etc/conf.d/consolefont to use the sun-12x22
22 font, which is the biggest and looks the best on 1024x768 imho, or
23 another font you like.
24 > Secondly, I installed nvidia-drivers, but the X server refuses to load
25 > glx. I can't check for the exact error now, but it's something about
26 > an unrecognised/unsupported format. If I set opengl to xorg-x11, X
27 > starts (but I suppose it's not by far the same thing).
28 did you use "eselect opengl set nvidia"? There's a nice nVidia+HW
29 accel. guide on the gentoo sites that I highly recommend. MAke sure
30 DRI is disabled, although that usually happens automatically.
31 > Could this be linked to the fact that my detected X settings are a bit
32 > strange? For instance, the monitor VendorName and ModelName are just
33 > generic strings and the subsections for the Screen section only
34 > contain "ViewPort 0 0" in addition to Depth, which varies (correctly
35 > as far as I can tell) from 1 to 24.
36 First of all you probably should enable I2C support in the kernel so
37 you can better communicate with some hardware in your computer over
38 simple I2C protocol. The monitor name/vendor name are just identifiers
39 and mean nothing, and the screen section usually looks something like
40 that, but you might want to look up online and add horizontal and
41 vertical refresh rates for good resolutions.
42 > Other than that, and a bit offtopic, too, today has been both very fun
43 > and incredibly educational (but a bit sore on the eyes).
44 i love gentoo.
45 > PS: I tried to send this a while back, but without success. If it
46 > did, however, get sent, then I apologise for the double post.
47 It did get double sent.
48 > How's my English?
49 you even appear to understand the use of commas ; )
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list