From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Feckless xdm not much of a manager
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:00:54
1 On 25 Aug 2010, at 04:36, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > ... My problem has been that going to /etc/init.d
3 > and commanding "./xdm stop" seems to work, but has no effect on
4 > KDE. Manually killing kde (ps -ef | grep kde, etc) just starts
5 > another one. I finally figured out that I have to find the 'kdm'
6 > process and kill that, then a logoff or Ctl_Alt_BS actually gets rid
7 > of X, so I can do things like
8 > "X -configure" and so on.
9
10 If you run `/etc/init.d/xdm stop` and then log out of KDE using the
11 logoff button in the Start Menu, what happens, please? Does xdm return?
12
13 Stroller.