From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive pricing and the near future
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 16:47:40
1 On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 12:16 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Other option, depending on exactly what your use case is would be to look into your choice of filesystem. SMR doesn't like random writes into one of its chunks unless it has enough idle time to go back and straighten it out later is all. There are now format options for ext4 to align its metadata to the SMR sections and to make it avoid random writes as much as it can. Additionally BTRFS, ZFS, and NILFS2 are all structured such that they tend to write from one end of the disk to the other and then jump back to the beginning, so they see little if any degradation from SMR.
4
5 Unless something has changed, it was ZFS rebuilds that caused a lot of
6 the initial fuss on Linux. Drives were getting dropped from pools due
7 to timeouts/etc during rebuilds. I'm not sure how sequential the IO
8 is for ZFS rebuilds. I think btrfs seems a bit smarter about scrubs
9 in general.
12 Rich