From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:14:34
1 On 2012-06-18 08:16, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I plugged two 4TB SATA drives in and the BIOS hangs trying to display the disk size.
4 >Whether it is the size itself, or from using 4K blocks, I do not know.
5
6 This is a bit confusing. Do you mean to say that these are 4TB internal
7 drives (3.5")? I can't find any manufacturer that manufactures this size
8 (yet)... Or is it 2x 2TB harddrives in a USB3 enclosure? There are
9 plenty of those it seems from Seagate, Western digital etc...
10
11 >I bought a USB 3.0 disk enclosure and the system refused to even acknowledge its presence.
12 >USB 3.0 may be advertised as backwards compatible, but not on my system.
13
14 If possible try a BIOS upgrade... if not you can always try this (no
15 guarantees though):
16 http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2u3pci.php
17
18 > I put one of the drives into an old USB 2.0 enclosure, and while it was found and useable,
19 >it saw the size as 1.6TB.
20
21 For a 2TB a usable size of 1.6TB sounds about right...
22
23 > I can't get a USB 3.0 PCI card; there are PCI-e cards, but my system is PCI and PCI-X.
24
25 See above...
26
27 Maybe more questions than answers but hopefully they will give you a
28 clue or two for the correct answer(s)...
29
30 Best regards
31
32 Peter K