From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and a Mobile Phone
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:01:37
1 On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM, <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I have an Optimus V 3G mobile phone.  When I connect it to my Gentoo box
3 > with the usb cable, and turn on usb storage, I get the following message in
4 > a pop-up box.
5 >
6 > Unable to mount 2.0 GB Filesystem
7 > Not Authorized
8 >
9 > Should I make the device rwx for all, make a udev rule, or do something
10 > else?  The problem is depending on what's plugged in, it may not always be
11 > /dev/sdb .  Also, what applications are out there that can interact with the
12 > device?  One of the first things I'd like to do is backup and edit my
13 > contacts on the Gentoo box and sync it to the phone.
14
15 udev rule is definitely the way to go. You can identify it by
16 manufacturer/model/serial/whatever, and give it a persistent device
17 name and permissions of your liking. I had mine as /dev/nokia for
18 example.