From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I capture this video?
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:44:01
1 On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Is there a way to capture a flash video like the one shown in this link?
5 >
6 > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/05/60minutes/main4650223.shtml
7 >
8 > or this?
9 >
10 > http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4653109n
11 >
12 > Unlike e.g. youtube I don't find a Flash file in my /tmp. The idea is that I
13 > want to be able to save the video on my drive so that I can watch it when I
14 > am offline. Any applications/tricks/ideas?
15
16 CBS looks to be streaming from a Flash Media Server on port 1935
17 (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashcom/) rather than just downloading
18 a static FLV file over http like Youtube etc. do, so I think you're
19 out of luck there unless there are some specialized tools to do that.
20
21 For MOST sites, like YouTube, you can use the Firebug add-on for
22 Firefox which includes a network monitor that will show you the exact
23 URL (and let you right-click to download) of anything that any page
24 loads.