From: Randall Barlow <randall_barlow@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] RAID related boot problems
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:03:54
1 Howdy, I'm trying a new install (since I hosed my last one) and I
2 figured I'd give the RAID+LVM thing a go. I followed the guide at
3 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml and
4 everything seemed to have worked ok, but when I boot I get 3 no-fun (TM)
5 lines:
6
7 VFS: Cannot open root device "md3" or unknown-block(0,0)
8 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
9 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
10 unknown-block(0,0)
11
12 Now, my relevant grub lines read:
13
14 root (hd0,0)
15 kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/md3
16
17 My partition layout is just like the one show in the guide:
18
19 /boot -> RAID 1 of hda1 and hdc1
20 swap -> hda2 and hdc2
21 / -> RAID 1 of hda3 and hdc3
22 LVM -> RAID 0 of hda4 and hdc5 (I used an extended partition on hdc
23 because it it much larger than hda and I wanted to create an hdc6 for
24 the additional space)
25
26 I am able to boot from the livecd and mount the arrays just fine, so I
27 believe it might be a kernel problem. But I did enable all of the
28 necessary kernel options listed in the guide and they are built into the
29 kernel (as is ext2/3 which are the only file systems in use). Any clues?
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list