From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 21:34:10
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:26 on Sunday 22 May 2011, Indi did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 08:10:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Sunday 22 May 2011, Indi did
6 > > opine
7 > >
8 > > thusly:
9 > > > It's unfortunate that we don't have small, fast, light, standalone
10 > > > programs to deal with the formats of word, excel, powerpoint, etc but
11 > > > if we did odds are most people would shun them for a big, bloaty
12 > > > office suite anyway. Personally, I'd love it if I could open and edit
13 > > > those office formats in vim...
14 > >
15 > > What makes you think they don't *already* exist?
16 >
17 > The fact that none of your examples fit the bill.
18
19 s/the/my/
20
21 there you go. Fixed that little oversight you made there.
24 > > Small, fast, light, standalone: yeah, they are all there.
25 >
26 > Your definition of "small, fast, and light" strikes me as most
27 > peculiar. Anything that requires a full-bloat DE (or enoough of its libs
28 > it might as well do so) is not "standalone" by any definition, and is
29 > unlikely to be "small, fast, and light". I know all things are relative,
30 > but be real.
31
32 No, I think you need to get real. It's 2011, what did you expect?
33
34 Any such project as a small light fast office suite has to include Gnome
35 and/or KDE support to some degree. Without it, it's just dead in the water.
36 And it's of sufficient complexity that scratch one's itch is unlikely to go
37 anywhere - it's not a one person project.
38
39 If we have to discuss this logically, you are going to have to define your
40 terms. What are your requirements?
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com