From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howzat!
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:08:46
1 On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:51:32 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > In the setup Neil proposes, every client mounts an NFS share from your
4 > server and uses that as its DISTDIR (where it stores the downloaded
5 > files). For downloading files, the clients access the normal public
6 > Gentoo mirrors but because all clients share the same directory, files
7 > that some client has already downloaded are also available for every
8 > other client. Therefore they will not be downloaded twice.
9
10 Exactly.
11
12 > The only possible problem with this approach is that two clients might
13 > attempt to download the same file at the same time. Just make sure to
14 > start your updates at different times to avoid this.
15
16 I believe this is no longer an issue as portage now uses file locks over
17 NFS. I don't know if it does the same with CIFS shares, I've never tried
18 it.
19
20 Incidentally, my cron script that runs emerge --sync follows it with
21 emerge-uDNf world, so the files are already in $DISTDIR when I want to
22 update.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 "I am a Cub Ranger. We dib dib dib for the One. We dob dob dob for the
29 One."