From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11-7.0 upgrade question
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:06:14
1 On 7/19/06, Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > I am having trouble updating these machines since
4 > > neither the kernel or the ati-drivers ebuilds are available in portage
5 > > any more and, unfortunately, nothing that is in portage seems to boot
6 > > and work correctly.
7 >
8 > If they work for you and there's no security issues, then why upgrade? :)
9
10 Ryan,
11 I'm surprised you want to take up bandwidth on the list for this.
12
13 1) MythTV-0.18-X works but has stability issues so the backend server
14 needed to be upgraded to 0.19-X.
15
16 2) MythTV frontends must match the backend so the remote frontend, of
17 which these two Pundit-R boxes are, must be updated.
18
19 3) The Pundit-R machines use xor-x11-6.8.2-r1. Unfortunately for me
20 the maintainers have removed it from portage. I'm stuck in a masking
21 issue to keep it working.
22
23 4) Unfortunately many of the parts of MYthTV-0.19-X seems to be asking
24 for xorg-x11-6.9 or higher.
25
26 With all of that I figured I might as well try to get to a new
27 kernel, new ati-driver and new xorg-x11 along with a new MythTV and
28 new mysql. The Gentoo devs/maintainers have a right to stop
29 maintaining all the old revs but I DESPERATELY wish they would create
30 an graveyard for old ebuilds that folks in my situation could download
31 and place in my overlay. I cannot find some of these ebuilds and this
32 newish policy has created a heck of a lot of extra work for me.
33
34 Unless there is something constructive to be said please don't
35 bring this stuff to the lists. We don't need emails as a way to send
36 nothing but smiley's. Have a beer instead. Thanks.
37
38 Cheers,
39 Mark
40 --