From: Nevynxxx <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo from another Linux distro
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:58:38
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I'm getting ready for a remote Gentoo install. I'd like to avoid any
3 > sort of CD/USB/floppy usage. I can select a variety of different
4 > distros to be preinstalled on the system. Can I end up with the same
5 > Gentoo system installing from another distro as I can from a LiveCD?
6 > I've read over:
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap5
9 >
10 > and it sounds like I may not be able to end up with one big root
11 > partition like this:
12 >
13 > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
14 > /dev/sda1 1 5 40131 83 Linux
15 > /dev/sda2 6 68 506047+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
16 > /dev/sda3 69 19457 155742142+ 83 Linux
17 >
18 > If the preinstalled distro has a partition table like this, I won't be
19 > able to make a separate partition for Gentoo. If the preinstalled
20 > distro has separate large partitions, I will be able to install Gentoo
21 > on one of the partitions, but I won't ever be able to set up a
22 > partition table like the above with one big root partition.
23 >
24 > Is that correct or do I have this all wrong?
25 >
26 > - Grant
29 That is basically correct, you can't remove the root partition, while it
30 is in use....
31
32 What you could do though, depending on how big that boot partition is,
33 is copy the live CD to the boot partition, set a boot option to boot
34 that as the root, and then do your normal install in the main big
35 partition.....
36
37 I've never done, or tried this, but it should work....The minimal
38 install cd is ~50MB I think....
39
40 All that said, I'm an LVM guy myself, and like to have a few partitions
41 about for different things depensding on the machines usage. :)