From: "Fatih Tümen" <fthtmn+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 05:43:34
1 On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 11 Oct 2010, at 12:51, Fatih Tümen wrote:
5 >> ...
6 >> P.S. Would you recommend against 7200rpm usb 2.5" disks?
7 >
8 > I'm aware of no reason to do so.
9 >
10 > Typically usb 2.5" disks can be powered off the USB cable, which is much more portable than the PSU required by external USB 3.5" drives.
13 Perhaps there a bit noisier and shortening battery life?
14
15 > I would guess that most drives are generally about as reliable as each other. They are inherently at risk from mechanical failure, but some succumb within weeks of purchase, others not after a decade - it's just a matter of pot luck (which is why backups are so important).
18 I would love to see a decade. This one could not make it 5, but the
19 other one I got is alive for 7 years.
22 Fatih