From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop-aes + extra-ciphers...
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:20:29
1 On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:20:20 -0400
2 Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > Thanks to all who replied to my previous question. This question is
8 > related. Has anyone gotten the 'extra-ciphers' (you can get them from
9 > the loop-aes site) to compile with the loop-aes kernel patch in
10 > place? If so, could you give me a hint on how to do this?
13 Perhaps they appear as kernel modules? I'm just guessing.
16 > Also, someone said that it was possible to encrypt using multiple
17 > passphrases using dm-crypt. To be clear are we talking about the
18 > same type of multiple passphrases that can be used with AES and
19 > Serpent with loop-aes?
20
21 Yes, you can have multiple passwords with dm-crypt-luks.
24 > In other words, you set up a number pg
25 > passphrases (64 or 65), and the first block uses the first
26 > passphrase, the second block uses the second one, etc. The 65th
27 > passpharse is added to the hash of the encryption passphrase.
30 Never bothered to go so deep in the internals, but...
31
32 I had a busyness laptop with non-sensitive (in my opinion) data, but
33 the managers were quite paranoid about that, so I had to encrypt the
34 drives to save myself the administrative trouble in case it was stolen.
35 I followed the gentoo-wiki how-to [1] and found out that encrypting the
36 hdd visibly slowed down the system.
37
38 Rumor has it that the three-letter agencies (CIA, KGB, M.A.V.O. [2],
39 etc) can break those algorithms relatively easy. On the other hand even
40 weaker algorithms can protect your data against laptop thieves.
41
42 What I'm saying is that it is pointless to get very crazy about strong
43 and heavy algorithms. After all if your enemies are not after your
44 hardware, but after your data, they could always physically force you
45 to reveal the password.
48 > Also (as if that weren't enough), is it possible to encrypt the
49 > passphrases or keys in dm-crypt with gnupg, like it is with
50 > loop-aes? If so, please give examples.
53 Yes, you could do something like:
54
55 head /dev/urandom | gpg --symmetric -a > key.gpg
56 gpg --decrypt key.gpg | cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/some-block-device
57 gpg --decrypt key.gpg | cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/some-block-device
60 (The above commands are not correct, their sole purpose is to show the
61 idea)
64 [1] System Encryption DM-Crypt with LUKS: http://tinyurl.com/clrk6
65
66 [2] M.A.V.O.: http://tinyurl.com/4badqs ; http://tinyurl.com/4chhph :D