From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade query
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:20:08
1 On Thursday, July 21 at 10:01 (+0000), jdm@××××××××××××.uk said:
2
3 > A little advice please? I am about to build a new box going from
4 > athlon dual core to phenom six core. Including new sata drives and
5 > motherboard. I was going to clone all my partitions and the re emerged
6 > all packages with march native
7 >
8 > Firstly would you reccommend cloning and if so what is best
9 > technology?
10
11 When I move to a different machine, I just
12
13 * boot into a live cd
14 * back up all the partitions with rsync (or use tar or similar if
15 you need compression) to an external (USB) drive.
16 * boot new machine into livcd
17 * repartion, copy backed up files
18 * install bootloader (and reconfigure/build kernel if necessary)
19
20 If both source and target are on the same network you can probably also
21 get away with rsync'ing over the LAN instead of using an external drive.
22
23 As for what "technology" is best, they are not going to make a whole lot
24 of difference, IMO. I find rsync/cp easier to work with (you can
25 manipulate files before copying them to the new box). tar is more
26 efficient if you need compression. dd, would be the least efficient in
27 my opinion, because it's going to clone the entire partition, including
28 unused blocks, when you're really only concerned about the files. Tools
29 like partimage, etc. can clone a partition "smartly" but I tend to use
30 those tools less often as I'm really only concerned about the files, not
31 the partitions. Unless your source and target partitions are going to
32 have the exact same geometry, I don't see the benefit if cloning
33 partitions.
34
35 Just my 2¢
36