From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Question re: UUID
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:59:42
1 Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > · Anthony E. Caudel <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>:
5 >> I have noticed in some distros (namely Ubuntu) that the fstab uses
6 >> UUID's rather than /dev references. Is this a better way?
7 >>
8 >> Does it eliminate the problem of /dev references changing when another
9 >> drive, i.e., an external USB drive, is plugged in? The /dev references
10 >> may change but the UUID's in fstab wouldn't, would they?
13 > Correct. UUIDs are universally unique (as the name already "suggests" *g*)
14 > and thus, there cannot be a clash.
15 >
16 > Michael Schmarck
17 >
18 Any chance that GRUB will ever use these? I have a sata hd carrier and
19 when I reboot with it plugged in, grub sees the disk order differently
20 and gives me problems (I either have to get a grub command line and boot
21 manually or use a Grub boot floppy).
22
23 Tony
26 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
27 -- Benjamin Franklin
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list