From: ralfconn <mentadent47@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limiting amount of memory a program can use.
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:48:17
1 On 8/28/22 14:24, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > As most know, I got a much faster internet and I use torrent software,
5 > quite a lot.  I was using Ktorrent and it was OK but it was slow.  I
6 > started using Qbittorrent and like it better in a way but it has its own
7 > speed issues and both affect my desktop response.  I did some googling
8 > and used top to figure out that they are using a LOT of memory for
9 > cache.  At times, it uses well over half my memory just for cache.  It
10 > also gets to a point where it is using swap even tho I have swappiness
11 > set to 1, basically use swap only to prevent a crash from out of memory
12 > problems.  We all know how slow swap use can make things.  As it is, I
13 > reduced the number of active files which is not something I want to do.
14 > If I receive, I like to send as well.  After all, someone sent to me as
15 > well.  What I would like to do is limit the amount of memory torrent
16 > software can use.  I don't know exactly how to do that tho.  It's not
17 > something I've ever done.
18 >
19 > Is this something I do on the command line or a setting is some file
20 > somewhere?  I don't even know where to start on this.  By the way, I'm
21 > maxed out at 32GBs of memory for this mobo.  So adding memory isn't a
22 > option.  Is there even a mobo that has a 64GB option??? :/
23
24 Not really an answer to your question but here I never had
25 speed/responsiveness/memory issues with transmission (Xfce, 16Gb RAM,
26 50Mbit/s network bandwidth ):
27
28 [I] net-p2p/transmission
29
30      Available versions:  3.00-r1^t (~)3.00-r4^t **9999*l^t
31 {appindicator cli gtk lightweight mbedtls nls qt5 systemd test web}
32      Installed versions:  3.00-r4^t(01:14:38 PM 05/29/2022)(cli nls
33 -appindicator -gtk -lightweight -mbedtls -qt5 -systemd -test)
34      Homepage:            https://transmissionbt.com/
37 I use it without GUI (-gtk -qt5) because I find the web interface just
38 fine. Also, being server-based it runs regardless of who's logged into
39 the PC, which is a plus here.
40
41 raffaele