From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI boot, again
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:08:02
1 Am 2012-10-13 00:52, schrieb Bill Kenworthy:
2
3 > another "feature" is you have to be booted via efi so the variables are
4 > available so it can install itself - sorta catch 22 :(
5
6 Yes, I know that. No problem, when I boot from that stick, I do that via
7 EFI, so I get the correct environment.
8
9 > I just remembered another step that I missed - I dont have the syntax
10 > but "efibootmgr" - google for the correct options.
11
12 Yes ;-)
13
14 I do that for days now. What puzzles me:
15
16 I get the entries into EFI: when I boot I see the entries created by
17 efibootmgr, but when I chose one of the entries pointing to "GRUB2" or
18 "gentoo" the PC tells me that the disk isn't bootable.
19
20 And I still don't know what is missing. AFAIK that EFI system partition
21 is allowed to be within the first 2 TB of the disk (easy on my 1 TB
22 hdd), has to have the boot-flag set (in parted-terms), and must be type
23 EF02. When EFI doesn't find something bootable on the disk, my
24 interpretation is that it can't find that partition?
25
26 S