From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best route forward?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:43:30
1 On Mittwoch, 2. Januar 2008, BRM wrote:
2 > I installed KDE yesterday via "emerge kde -vuD", and just remembered
3 > today about "kde-meta", which installs a lot more. In running "emerge
4 > kde-meta -vuD", I get 250 new packages, and 245 blocks, with 1 upgrade.
5 > What is the _best_ path forward? Should I just stick with my current
6 > build of kde? Or is there an easy way to remove all the blocks and then
7 > push in kde-meta? Is it worth it?
8 >
9 > TIA,
10 >
11 > Ben
12
13 kde and kde-meta install the same apps. One is in monolith packages, the other
14 one uses the split ebuilds. If you install everything, monolith is a lot
15 faster. But some important useflags are only used and the features enabled
16 with split ebuilds (grrrr). Like kdenetwork&kopete. With kdenetwork kopete
17 emerges without the history plugin, even if all useflags are set (which sucks
18 greatly). With split ebuilds, kopete gets its history plugin (there is no
19 logic behind this - but the devs decided it this way...).
20
21 You don't have to unmerge kde first.
22
23 You can do it in a more 'gradual' way. For example: first unmerge kdenetwork,
24 then emerge kdenetwork-meta. Unmerge kdebase, emerge kdebase-meta and so on.
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list