From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mailman 2.1 replacement? (Python 2.7 issue)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 08:59:51
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm using mailman (stable 2.1.33) for several mailing lists.
4
5 Since there seems to be only a Python 2.7 version, mailman
6 is now masked and will soon be removed from the tree.
7
8 I have already copied the mailman ebuild to a local overlay,
9 but that's surely not the best idea in the long run.
10
11 What would the best (and simplest) solution to port the
12 existing mailman mailing lists to another mailing list
13 system (perhaps even with full-/half-automatic transfer
14 of e-mail-addresses, greeting and farewell messages and
15 all that)? Which one would you recommend?
16
17 Googling for "Alternatives to Mailman" found several
18 programs - the only one of them with a Gentoo ebuild
19 seems to be "mlmmj". Would porting the mailman data
20 to mlmmj be easy or difficult?
21
22 On the other hand, there seems to be a mailman 3 version
23 (which is not yet in the portage tree), but I could
24 install it manually of course (though that sounds pretty
25 complicated?!), and there are some update docs at
26 https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/migration.html
27 and there is a simple "mailman import21" command for
28 importing the data of the old version. Would that be
29 better/easier than to switch to a completely other
30 system (even if the new mailman 3 would not be
31 administered by portage)?
32
33 Any suggestions how to proceed?
34