From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what test gets done in pcre makefile to find gcc won't work?
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 19:03:56
1 On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 01:51:45PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world
3 > Would it have been best to refuse to do the emerges at that point in the
4 > installation? The handbook was silent on that point except to say
5 > updates could be done after installation.
6
7 I would usually wait to get a working, bootable system before worrying about
8 updating everything to the newest version possible, however I'm still surprised
9 that the configure script took issue with GCC this early in the installation
10 process.
11
12 > The gcc compiler works this time though the pcre package continues to
13 > break. I'll get the output for it and share with the list as soon as I
14 > have it together.
15
16 OK, thank you. Please remember to post the entire log of emerge, and the output
17 of `emerge --info <problematic package>`. Gzip the former if it is very large.
18
19 BTW: please stop top-posting (that is, quoting the entire thread and then
20 prepending your response). It is not only a tremendous waste of disk space, but
21 also makes it unclear as to which part of the quoted message you're replying.
22 Interleaved style seems to be the most commonly used here. [1]
23
24 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
28 Ashley Dixon
29 suugaku.co.uk