From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Want to start open source development
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:31:16
1 On 10/10/2012 12:30 PM, karan garg wrote:
2 > Thanks a lot for the feedback. But I am a bit scared as this is going to
3 > be my first such experience. I have a basic knowledge about these
4 > languages, and definitely even if I fall short of the required
5 > standards, I shall learn them on the way, but it sort of is making me
6 > nervous.
7 >
8 > Can you plz explain how the procedure works if i try to enhance a
9 > software or fix a bug?
10 > Like will i be provided with a particular task?
11 > Or if i dont know something then i will be guided through that problem
12 > by your advices?
13 > Or I'l just be on my own except for where i get stuck and just be
14 > provided with the resources?
15 >
16 > My apologies for trying your patience.
19 > --
20 > Regards :)
21 > Karan
22 >
23 Well, I suppose first and foremost, do you have a particular project in
24 mind to which you would like to contribute?
25
26 I understand being worried about potentially not knowing what you're
27 doing and becoming overwhelmed, but for a situation like this where you
28 *want* to volunteer to do something, at some point the "want" will
29 override the fear. You just need to find the correct project and task
30 that most appeals to you! :)
31
32 As for any guidance you may receive, it really depends on how you go
33 about getting involved. Many of the larger projects have guidelines that
34 you can follow to become comfortable with their specific coding style
35 and the way patches are accepted, etc, etc [1][2] and as long as you
36 read the pages carefully and try to adhere to their customs the main
37 devs will probably be more than happy to assist you along the way if you
38 need some clarification here and there.
39
40 If you're more interested in helping a smaller project, then their
41 process is generally less documented[3][4] and you'll find that you can
42 form a more close, one-on-one relationship with the devs (as long as
43 their not too overwhelmed with other things) and they'll also probably
44 be happy to help you, as needed.
45
46 Just be aware, if you want to help with the programming, then that's
47 awesome! However, just keep in mind that most devs would prefer not to
48 teach you the language the project is written in, so you most likely
49 will have a tough time at first while you're trying to understand the
50 codebase AND learn potentially foreign syntax and such. But if you're
51 determined to help out and contribute then the community will welcome
52 you with open arms. :)
53
54 And as a side note, some devs can be grumpy and difficult to work with,
55 but they are few and far between. On the vast majority of projects, the
56 devs have a TODO that will take them years to get through so any help is
57 usually appreciated and any additional features that will make their
58 project more useful/worthwhile are appreciated, too.
59
60 Summary/tl;dr Look for a Getting Started or Get Involved page on the
61 projects website. If you can't find one, see if there's a HACKING doc in
62 the project repository. If the project looks like something you want to
63 work on but you need help, contact the dev and let him/her/them know
64 your interested but need some help.
65
66 HTH
67