From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] You have no world file
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:32:54
1 On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On 04/20/2011 12:15 PM, Dan Cowsill wrote:
4 > > On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com
5 > > <mailto:michael@××××××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On 04/20/2011 11:35 AM, Dan Cowsill wrote:
8 > > > Hi list,
9 > > >
10 > > > I've been having a strange issue every so often. I'll do a world
11 > > update
12 > > > (emerge -uDNav, etc) and that will proceed nicely, installing new
13 > > > packages and suchlike. I'll then do a little bit of the old
14 > > emerge -pcv
15 > > > to check for dangling packages and I will get the following:
16 > > >
17 > > > !!! You have no world file.
18 > > > !!! Proceeding is likely to break your installation.
19 > > >
20 > > > Portage will then politely inform me that it needs to remove 190
21 > > > packages and I thank FSM I added -p.
22 > > >
23 > > > So! Googling that little tidbit produced nothing meaningful.
24 > What's
25 > > > the story? Gremlins?
26 > > >
27 > >
28 > > Basically. Do you have a world file (/var/lib/portage/world)? If not,
29 > > why not? Is /var or one of its subdirectories mounted separately?
30 > Hard
31 > > drive going bad? Do you see gremlins anywhere?
32 > >
33 > > Permissions on /var/lib/portage should be drwxrws--- root:portage
34 > >
35 > > /var/lib/portage/world should be -rw-r--r-- root:portage
38 > > File's there, permissions are correctly set, the filesystem isn't
39 > > mounted separately and according to smartctl, the hard drive is doing
40 > > quite well. I'm at a loss!
41 >
42 > You can try introducing trolls to fight the gremlins. If the smell gets
43 > too strong, orcs will keep the trolls in check. Gold starts
44 > disappearing? Dragons should do the trick. When you run out of
45 > princesses... try memtest.
48 Why I love this list in one thread.
49
50 Anyway, just an update on the situation. As far as I can tell, this 'you
51 have no world file' error only shows up when i'm doing a --depclean. Also,
52 it is intermittent. Right now, -pcv works just fine and reports the correct
53 number of packages to be removed (zero). I'm not sure what breaks this, or
54 if it will be broken in the future.
55
56 At this point, I'm not terribly worried about the whole thing, but I am
57 rather curious.
58
59 Thanks guys,
60 D