From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel doesn't use all of the available memory
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:49:22
1 On Thursday 09 December 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I see a strange effect which puzzles me.
5 > I have two AMD64 (~amd64) Systems. Both have 8Gb memory installed
6 > as reported by their BIOS as well as by lshw.
7 > One is a somewhat older Opteron, the other one a recent Phenom II.
8 > But the output of 'free -m' differs significantly
9 >
10 > On the Phenom II there a total of 7738 Mb
11 > but on the old Opteron there a total of 6477 Mb only.
12 >
13 > The 2.6.36 kernel is configured nearly identical (just a different SATA
14 > driver).
15 >
16 > Has anybody an idea where this comes from?
17
18 a) bios limitiation. Some bad bios implementations (even from expensive
19 vendors) map the pci space into the 3.5-4gb or 7.5-8gb area. Stupid.
20
21 b) onboard devices.