From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Have I to install wifi now?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 17:44:10
1 Afternoon all,
2
3 I masked the latest version of plasma-meta, 5.18.5, when it appeared last
4 week, because it insisted on installing network-manager, which I neither need
5 nor want. Now I'm running an emerge -e @world, and portage insists on plasma-
6 meta-5.18.5. (Why?) If I unmask it, network-manager insists on wifi ( wext ?
7 Wifi ) even though there's no such hardware on this machine.
8
9 For the moment I've excluded plasma-meta from the -e @world, which seems to be
10 doing the job.
11
12 Is this going to be policy in future? Bloat the machine up with bells and
13 whistles that are unwanted, and even actively disliked. Already I've been
14 obliged to install encryption and LVM, neither of which I want; where is it
15 going to end?
18 Regards,
19 Peter.