From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot into X
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:06:24
1 Thanks for the response. However, this has opened another can of worms and
2 I'm bowing to the expertise of this list to help
3
4 On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > Colleen Beamer writes:.
7 >
8 > > /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: error while loading shared libraries:
9 > > libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
10 > > directory
11 > [...]
12 > > Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng
13 > > prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being
14 > > blocked by the existing one. I don't know if this makes a difference.
15 >
16 > This is the problem. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet links to
17 > libpng12.so.0, which you removed. It needs to be rebuilt so it links
18 > against libpng14.so.0. A simple emerge -1 kde-base/kdm should solve this.
19 > Use ldd /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet to verify this, there should be no
20 > 'not found' entries.
23 I don't remember why I unmasked the unstable version of libpng. However,
24 following your advice, I first attempted to reinstall kdm. This had been an
25 update 6 days ago when all this started. The emerge bombed. Therefore, I
26 fixed my package.keywords file so, the unstable version of libpng would not
27 emerge and re-emerged libpng. I can now boot into X.
30 > Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are still
31 > linked to the old libpng.
34 The can of worms comes from doing revdep-rebuild. However, the actual
35 revdep-rebuild bombs and I get told that there are no e-builds to satisfy
36 PyQt:0.
37
38 I admit that I have qt3support as a USE flag. Don't know if this is the
39 issue and if I should remove it. Advice?
42 Regards,
43
44 Colleen