From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:29:51
1 David Haller wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Thu, 18 Jun 2020, Dale wrote:
5 >> David Haller wrote:
6 > [..]
7 >>> Compile with:
8 >>> gcc $CFLAGS -o ones ones.c
9 >>> or
10 >>> gcc $(portageq envvar CFLAGS) -o ones ones.c
11 >>>
12 >>> and use/test e.g. like
13 >>>
14 >>> ./ones | dd of=/dev/null bs=8M count=1000 iflag=fullblock
15 > [..]
16 >> I got it to compile, at least it created a file named ones anyway.  What
17 >> I'm unclear about, where is the if= for dd in the command?  All the
18 >> commands I've seen before has a if= and a of=.  The if for input and of
19 >> for output or target.
20 > ==== man 1 dd ====
21 > if=FILE
22 > read from FILE instead of stdin
23 > [..]
24 > of=FILE
25 > write to FILE instead of stdout
26 > ====
27 >
28 > note the stuff after 'instead' ;)
29
30 So it is piped in with the | thingy?  Got it.
33 >> I'm assuming that if I want to target sdb, I'd
34 >> replace null with /dev/sdb.
35 > Yes.
36 >
37 >> As I've posted before, even my scripting skills are minimal.  Surprised
38 >> I got it to compile even.
39 > Well, you could copy & paste and on gentoo, there is bound to be a
40 > 'gcc' ;)
41
42 Yea, just my skills on that sort of thing is minimal or none.  I do copy
43 and paste pretty well tho.  ;-)
46 >> something.  I placed all this in the /root directory.  I'm assuming I
47 >> can copy paste the commands above while in /root to make it work?
48 > Yes. Or put 'ones' in /root/bin/ or even /usr/local/bin. Depending on
49 > if you expect to use the program later on. But if it's just for this
50 > once it's fine in /root/ alongside the sourcecode.
51 >
52 > HTH,
53 > -dnh
57 Well, I made notes in my frequent commands file.  It may be rare that I
58 use it but when I do, maybe the notes will help.  Maybe.  ;-)
59
60 Thanks much.
61
62 Dale