From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 07:02:52
1 2011/7/6 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Dale, random hard-lockups are only due to hardware or kerne, it can't
5 >> be otherwisel (drivers count as part of kernel). The fact that
6 >> compilation doesn't lock your system only means that the thing
7 >> (whatever it is) is not bount to intensive I/O operations and/or high
8 >> cpu loads.
9 >>
10 >> Openldap itself can't hard lock up anything if the kernel doesn't give
11 >> it permissions to do so (kernel bug) or if the hardware is not faulty.
12 >> Same goes for tray apps.
16 > OK.  I tested this and it doesn't help any.  I tried three different
17 > kernels, all of which I have used in the past with no problems, and get the
18 > same thing.  I have tried reinstalling nvidia-drivers and a different
19 > versions of nvidia-drivers, same thing.  So, either previously working
20 > kernels are now broke, nvidia which was working fine just a few days ago
21 > with no recent updates here just broke or just maybe it is something else we
22 > have yet to figure out yet.  I also ran memtest for HOURS with not one
23 > problem reported.
24 >
25 > Given I have tried the above, do you still think it is kernel, nvidia or
26 > hardware?  I'm about to run tests on the drive now.  I suspect it is going
27 > to show no problems as well.
28
29 I can't know what it is, but all the kernels you list are .38, and all
30 of them are affected by the bug I described, so you haven't discarded
31 anything yet. Try 2.6.39.2 if you want to discard that.
32
33 All the drivers you've tried are also the same nvidia-drivers, so
34 that's a poor attempt as well. Try vesa, as said.
35
36 All I say is that user land applications CAN'T hard lock the whole OS
37 unless the kernel let's them do so. And that can only happens because
38 of three reasons:
39
40 a) kernel bug
41 b) drivers
42 c) hardware
43
44 Unless it's not truly a hard-lock, in which case the title of the
45 thread is misleading.
46
47 > I did try .39 but it had issues.  I got rid of those.
48
49 Right, but .38 suffers the bug we are telling you. So you'll have to
50 fix these issues, or you'll never discard the possibility that's the
51 USB bug from .38 bitting you.
54 Jesús Guerrero Botella