From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd to manage (DNS) security?
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:20:06
1 On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:29 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is about the most scary idea I have every heard of in unix/linux,
4 > in long time.
5 >
6 > I guess all of those conspiracy theories were correct::
7 > prepare to be assimilateD!
10 > https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2016-June/014964.html
13 That's pretty old news. In any case, you certainly don't need to use
14 systemd as your DNS resolver if you don't want to.
15
16 Systemd also doesn't touch /etc/resolv.conf contrary to what that
17 email states. It only touches /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf which
18 does absolutely nothing on its own unless you choose to symlink
19 /etc/resolv.conf to it. The obvious options using systemd and
20 resolv.conf are:
21 1. Don't use it at all - just put whatever you want in
22 /etc/resolv.conf and it works like you'd expect it to.
23 2. Have systemd-networkd populate /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf
24 with whatever DNS servers were discovered using DHCP and then symlink
25 that to /etc/resolv.conf so that your system uses it. This is
26 basically the behavior you typically expect from the likes of dhcpcd
27 and such but instead of tampering with a file in /etc it just messes
28 with a transient file in /run.
29 3. Run systemd-resolved as a caching forwarding-only DNS server and
30 have that end up in /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf. I haven't
31 really taken a serious look at the security implications of this. It
32 is intended as a lightweight forwarding-only DNS server, and if it has
33 any security flaws I'm sure they'll accept them as bugs. It is meant
34 as a single-host solution - not as something you'd point your entire
35 network at. It certainly isn't BIND.
36
37 As with most systemd integrated solutions they tend to start out
38 simple and evolve.
39
40 The last time I checked systemd does not block you from installing the
41 DNS server of your choosing, just as it doesn't block installing
42 syslog, or cron, or a network manager, or even another service
43 manager. You could use it as an oversized sysvinit if you wanted to
44 (not that you would). How distros choose to use it is another matter.
47 Rich