From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:06:23
1 Am 12.04.2012 21:49, schrieb Dale:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
5 > move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
6 > spare to move things around with. I use cp -a to copy things while
7 > booted from a USB stick do hicky. So far, that has always worked and is
8 > pretty fast. I do have a question tho.
9 >
10 > When I copy this over, do I still need to copy over null, console and
11 > such to /dev? I know I don't need everything in /dev but do recall
12 > needing those in the past. Has this changed since I'm using the init
13 > thingy? Am I forgetting one? I thought there was three.
16 So, you are not just moving /usr /var and /home but also the rest of
17 root? In that case it is best to do something like
18 mount --bind / /mnt/real_root
19 cp -a /mnt/real_root/* /mnt/new_root
20
21 mount --bind binds only the root file system, not any other or temporary
22 file systems mounted on top of it (like udev, /dev/pts, etc.). That
23 allows you to copy your static /dev file system (as created by untaring
24 the stage3).
25
26 > Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
27 > to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
28 > again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
29 > the last time.
30 >
31 > Thanks.
32 >