From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't get xorg tdfx driver to work any more
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 05:17:23
1 FYI, I have a workaround. Set the primary video device to PCI in the bios. I
2 don't know why this works, but it's enough to get by with at least.
3
4 Robert
5
6 On Monday 19 June 2006 20:37 Robert Persson was like:
7 > On Monday 19 June 2006 13:25 Robert Persson was like:
8 > > A while ago I had a working 2-head setup which I stopped using because I
9 > > needed to use the proprietary ati driver. Now I need to revert to using
10 > > the twin-head setup, but I can't get it to work any more.
11 > >
12 > > I have the same xorg.conf as before. What has changed is that I have
13 > > upgraded to xorg-7. It is also likely that I did something to my kernel
14 > > config to get the fglrx driver to work properly, but I can't remember
15 > > what exactly. I get confused about this because the various
16 > > display-related kernel options are scattered all over the place.
17 > >
18 > > The setup basically consists of an agp radeon 9200SE (using the radeon
19 > > driver) and a pci voodoo banshee (using the tdfx driver).
20 > >
21 > > The precise manifestation of the problem changed with the recent bump
22 > > from xorg-server-1.0.2-r4 to xorg-server-1.0.2-r5.
23 > >
24 > > Before the bump I got a screen that was the right overall colour, but
25 > > with ugly incomplete horizontal lines across it. Windows were
26 > > recognisably windows, but still heavily garbled. Within half an hour or
27 > > so I would have complete system lock-up.
28 > >
29 > > After the bump I now get a screen composed of horizontal red and black
30 > > lines, with the occasional flicker  on the left hand side when something
31 > > happens on the desktop. The only thing that is barely recognisable is the
32 > > mouse pointer, which looks like a white bar-code. After a period of use
33 > > (perhaps 20 minutes) the display locks up irrecoverably, but I am able to
34 > > restart gracefully from a remote terminal session.
37 Robert Persson
38 That's MISTER Scum to you.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list