From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] plainTeX instead of LaTeX
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:02:26
1 pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> [09-06-28 19:37]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > /home/mccramer>virtex texfile.tex
5 > > This is TeXk, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 7.5.7)
6 > > %&-line parsing enabled.
7 > >
8 > > kpathsea: Running mktexfmt plain.fmt
9 > > I can't find the format file `plain.fmt'!
12 > > /home/mccramer>locate plainfmt.tex
13 >
14 > Go to http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/web2c.html
15 > Search for 'plain.fmt'... It seems like this could be solved by making a
16 > symbolic link from 'tex.fmt' (as suggested elsewhere). Haven't tried
17 > this myself so no guarantees...
18 >
19 > MfG
20 >
21 > Peter K
22
23 ...and dont forget to do a
24
25 ls -R . > ls-R
26
27 in the according root directory, from where are all
28 *.fmt are installed, otherwise kpathsea will fail to find the file.
29
30 But what was the idea behind "tex" to behave like compiling/texing
31 for /LaTeX/ instead of plain TeX? This is the first time, when I
32 have to call virtex to compile/tex for plain tex format...
33
34 Even the manpages say:
35
36 This version of TeX looks at its command line to see what name it
37 was called under. If they exist, then both initex and virtex are
38 symbolic links to the tex executable. When called as initex (or
39 when the -ini option is given) it can be used to precompile macros
40 into a .fmt file. When called as virtex it will use the plain
41 format. When called under any other name, TeX will use that name
42 as the name of the format to use. i
43
44 (But:)
45 For example, when called as tex the tex format is used, which
46 is identical to the plain format. The commands defined by
47 the plain format are documented in The TeX for nroffbook.
48 Other formats that are often available include latex and
49 amstex.
50
51 So, there seems something non-standard or my installation git rotten
52 regarding this...
53
54 Normally initex is used to create *.fmt files. And virtex (from virgin
55 tex) is the one which does it works without any tex format -- the
56 way to write in "TeX assembler" so to say...
57
58 Myterious the world we live in, mysterious the way we go...
59
60 Slightly confused,
61 Meino Cramer
67 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
68 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
69 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
70 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.